Re: Media Fragments URI 1.0 (basic) is a W3C Recommendation

On 9/27/12 1:48 PM, Melvin Carvalho wrote:
> Fragments are probably the most misunderstood concept on the web, but
> very important to the RWW.  Great that the W3C has put together some
> guidance.
>
> My own personal take on this is that the Web started out as a Web of
> Documents, but the intention was always to be a web of data.
> 'Everything connected to everything' as expressed in Weaving the Web.
>
> It took me many years to appreciate what a neat idea the Web of
> Documents was.  Perfectly natural as human civilization has been
> strongly influenced by documents for 5000 years.  Then I ask myself
> the question: "Is it a reasonable thing to split documents up into
> sections?".  I came to the conclusion, absolutely yes. It's also what
> humans have done for 1000s of years.  This is the secret weapon of the
> web and allows parts of documents to be annotated as data.  And the #
> character is at the center of it all.
>
> I think a good understanding of the # character is essential to seeing
> the FULL vision of the WWW and RWW.  Read more below!
>
> http://www.w3.org/blog/SW/2012/09/27/media-fragments-uri-1-0-basic-is-a-w3c-recommendation/

I would add, good understanding of hyperlinks as *denotation* mechanisms
is vital to understanding the Web. To TimBL's credit,  he consistently
refers to URIs as Names, he doesn't ever slip on that [1] :-)

Links:

1.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=OM6XIICm_qo#t=69s
-- specific mention of URLs as names as critical part of the system .

Company Web: http://www.openlinksw.com
Twitter/Identi.ca handle: @kidehen