Re: Activity Pingback

From: Melvin Carvalho <melvincarvalho@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 12 Oct 2012 21:22:02 +0200
To: Sandeep Shetty <sandeep.shetty@gmail.com>
Cc: Henry Story <henry.story@bblfish.net>, public-rww@w3.org
On 11 October 2012 21:16, Sandeep Shetty <sandeep.shetty@gmail.com> wrote:

> > I might be quite interested to try out the "like" use case from any URI
> > any URI.
> >
> > I know that facebook and google have a like button that is used in many
> > sites, does anyone have a button that we could use to test out the
> general
> > case?
> I have a working open-source (alpha) implementation of Activity
> Pingback at: http://pingback.converspace.com/
> and I'm currently working on a proof of concept of activityweb.org,
> specifically around "like" and should have something to demo in about
> a weeks time.
> There are some interesting problems with federated likes (or any
> activity for that matter). For example, unlike centralized likes, its
> hard to ensure accuracy of like counts since the activities are taking
> place on different websites and any problems during the activity
> pingback process could mean loss of info.  To mitigate this, an
> activity pingback endpoint will need to implement queuing of
> unsuccessful activity pingbacks and retry with an exponential delay
> (like you typically would do with webhooks). Endpoints could delegate
> this responsibility to open proxies (soon to be implemented at
> pingback.converspace.com) to simply their own implementation (this is
> the equivalent of a hub in PubSubHubbub).
> I would love to get feedback and suggestions from people on this list
> on how this could be improved upon.

I have managed to find a like button which I've added to the bottom of my

The 'likes' so far (which you can see by clicking on the number "3")

To see the data behind it click on ("This page as Linked Data"), I've
modelled it as a commerce transaction so that this flow can be extended
fully to payments:

Last step is pingback ... I was thinking of just doing these one at a time
then automating it ...