Re: WebID and Friends -- a silent movie demonstrating what's possible

On 11/22/12 2:16 PM, Peter Williams wrote:
> We deployed nationally a linking service - meeting the definition of a saml sp affiliation (since patent issues are well settled). In short, logon button induces  a site to show lots of idp buttons. Picking Google, say,/need does the Google logon, whose name us now bound to Common name id for the User (in this affiliation). Said name is provisioned by  a primary idp, and on first learning the Google name one may have to authenticate to said idp, too, enabling auto name binding thereafter.
>
> We also enabled attributes from certain idp, know as attribute authority, to be stored alongside the name bindings.you can even change them, being a learned profile in effect. Sites in the affiliation requesting such intermediated sso get the stored (edited) profile, even when the aa is not the selected idle (this time).
>
> Now u fund all that using standards (ws-fedp) though interaction with the idle may use open id, oauth, or other Protocol. The oauth support means multiround interactions are now supported, only done if whose messages pass via the browser.
>
> In short, pulling a foaf card where its foaf agent acts as the aa given assertion of the webid name is easy. The we bid could even be the primary name id.. Logically id just implement the simple signature Protocol, allowing webid idps to check the certain etc, do the querying, and mint the signature bearing the verified webid. My site would rely on the sig and use it and the webid to pass the access control guard limiting access to the foaf card.
>
> So is that Protocol now within the remit of any standards effort? (It was never formally part of the w3c webid id group, note)?

No it isn't.  That said, by finally separating Identity, Identifiers,
Identity Cards/Tokens, Profile Documents, Authentication, and
Authorization, you can just do middleware plumbing (as you are doing
right now) which amounts to working with what's already standardized, in
lego-like manner.

> If not I can also bridge ... using the open link open id/webid Protocol converter.

Yes, you can use our middleware or make your own. That's the beauty of
standards that are based on open and modular architecture. You can
exploit evolutionary patterns instead of starting and fighting
distracting revolutions etc..

Kingsley

Company Web: http://www.openlinksw.com
Twitter/Identi.ca handle: @kidehen