Re: Contd: WebID and MediaWiki

From: Henry Story <henry.story@bblfish.net>
Date: Thu, 28 Jun 2012 15:23:50 +0200
Cc: Read-Write-Web <public-rww@w3.org>, public-webid <public-webid@w3.org>
To: Kingsley Idehen <kidehen@openlinksw.com>

On 27 Jun 2012, at 23:22, Kingsley Idehen wrote:

> All,
>
> At your convenience please test:
>
> 1. http://kingsley.idehen.net/MediaWiki?title=Special:VOILogin  -- WebID login
> 2. http://kingsley.idehen.net/MediaWiki/index.php?title=Special:VOILogin&type=signup -- WebID signup.
>
> Software in use:
>
> 1. Virtuoso with PHP runtime hosting
> 2. MediaWiki running via hosted runtime
> 3. Semantic MediaWiki extensions.

I was able to log in. It seemed a lot easier than the other OpenLink webid implementations, minus perhaps a couple of problems:

  -1. It asks me for my certificate immediately on arriving on the page (before I even see the
content. This is off-putting for humans.)
  -2  I login and it still shows me the login page - If I am logged in, then there is no need to ask me
   how I want to login - that is confusing. Instead you should say - Welcome Henry, .... your friends have
   recently edited....

  So for humans you should have them

  1. arrive on a login page with one big button.
  2. if they click the button they should be asked for their webid - if they don't have a certificate the server can ask them to login with other mechanisms such as OAuth, OpenId, user/password, etc...

 We should write this up as a best practice. So I am cling webid group.

	Henry

> Next stop, make a Linked Data view over the SQL schema and then showcase WebID ACLs controlling access to the Linked Data rendition.
>
> Of course, feedback would be much appreciated.
>
> Links:
>
> 1. http://bit.ly/MsqlAd -- Setting Up a Virtuoso-Hosted MediaWiki with Semantic MediaWiki Extensions
> --
>
> Regards,