Re: Introducing Ubuntu Web Apps: setting the web free of the browser

On 07/21/2012 10:32 PM, Nathan wrote:
> Sebastian Trueg wrote:
>> On 07/21/2012 03:19 PM, Melvin Carvalho wrote:
>>> This is a very interesting development.
>>>
>>> *Note:* Ubuntu is set to ship on 5% of all PCs in 2013
>>>
>>> http://blog.canonical.com/2012/07/19/introducing-ubuntu-web-apps-setting-the-web-free-of-the-browser/
>>>

>> As a former desktop developer (KDE) I can tell you that this is
>> nothing more than a few browser instances in combination with already
>> existing plugins for Twitter, GMail, and friends to different existing
>> Ubuntu/Gnome tools like Tracker or the HUD. The only special thing is
>> that they are all installed in Ubuntu and configured properly. A
>> properly configured KDE, OSX, or even Windows provides the exact same.
>>
>> "Ubuntu WebApp" is just a buzzword. Nothing new to see here.
>
> Apologies, but I'm going to disagree - not with the technical details,
> but with the thought that there's "nothing new to see here".
>
> You see by branding it as "Ubuntu WebApps", people will want to make
> real WebApps on the desktop, tell them they can have it and they will
> want it. Which imho means were only a short distance away from having
> installable (or more importantly identifiable) webapps running
> universally over multiple devices. That, is a big positive step forward.
>
> As you can see, I've got high hopes for this little false-branding, it's
> a major step forward in the mind of the masses.

Yes, you are right. My arguments came from a purely technical point of
view which is of course of not much interest when it comes to promoting
the idea and getting people interested and involved. I suppose it is not
easy to shake the old rivalry between Gnome and KDE ;)

--
Sebastian Trueg
Technical Consultant