Re: Signed Email WebID

On 7/16/12 5:26 PM, Nathan wrote:
> Kingsley Idehen wrote:
>>>
>>> It's a great question without an easy answer.
>>>
>>> theoretically it should be a case of configuring openssl using
>>> openssl.conf in the usual round-about god awful way to get a
>>> subjectAltName in there, then submit the generated CSR to get it
>>> signed by a well known CA.
>>>
>>> I've only self signed so far and not tested the CA bit, however I
>>> know people have been doing it for years with certificate with
>>> subjectAltName values in there, for LDAP - so rather sure it'll work
>>> as expected.

>>> You can't - requires a new cert.

>>> I share and understand your concerns, WebID is an awesome concept,
>>> but the practicalities of dealing with certs are a *major* put off,
>>> mine expired ages ago and I know that any attempt to re-issue it,
>>> with the same keys no less (as I use them for git/svn/scp etc) is
>>> going to be a complete nightmare. Thus I use an expired cert for
>>> git/svn/scp which still works on linux, but I can't use webid any
>>> more until I fix it and jump through a few hoops to reissue.
>>>
>>> Shame, as WebID - at an abstract level, doesn't even need
>>> certificates, it just needs a public/private keypair and a way to
>>> pass the webid over.
>>>
>>> Regardless, if you want to persist, I'm sure you can get this
>>> working with a new CA signed cert :)
>>>
>>> Best,
>>>
>>> Nathan
>>>

>> Nathan,
>>
>> Why do you need a single Certificate for anything? How about having a
>> certificate aligned to specific activities e.g., signed email via
>> s/mime protocol? Thus, in this case you just generate a new cert
>> that's specifically for email.
>>
>> WebID can't stand on its own during the early stages, it has to be
>> hooked into existing protocols like S/MIME, OpenID, LDAP etc. to
>> cost-effectively acquire both mindshare and appreciation. Of course,
>> if it all pans out, the reality of keypairs will become even clearer
>> and some of today's fluff will become much more optional. For today,
>> we've gotta hone into bootstrap hacks and mechanics :-)
>
> Just personal preference to have a single certificate (although my
> true preference is to have keys detached from certificates) - but you
> raise good points as always, there's no reason for me (us) not to have
> multiple certificates, especially if it helps with dog fooding and
> getting this show on the road.
>
> Best, Nathan

Yes, and it also addresses the Peter Parker and Spiderman identity
conundrum .

We carry many cards in our wallets already, so why not many WebID
watermarked certs too :-)

BTW -- did you try the social relationship ACL I setup re. one on my
SPARQL endpoints? Its driven by SPARQL ASK. s

Company Web: http://www.openlinksw.com
Twitter/Identi.ca handle: @kidehen