Re: Update on Mozilla's - Open Badges

On 12 December 2012 11:36, ☮ elf Pavlik ☮ <perpetual-tripper@wwelves.org>wrote:

> Excerpts from Melvin Carvalho's message of 2012-12-12 10:27:17 +0000:
> > On 11 December 2012 17:27, ☮ elf Pavlik ☮ <perpetual-tripper@wwelves.org
> >wrote:
> >
> > > just read post from their last sprint:
> > >

> http://bananigans.tumblr.com/post/37714817884/openbadges-product-sprint-winter2012
> > >
> > > some points bring to my mind RWW functionality, ex:
> > > "VII. Backpack Connect - Autopush (badges by approved issuers
> > > automatically pushed)
> > >
> > > Currently a badge earner must deliberately push every badge earned into
> > > their backpack (batch approval does exist today, however) which could
> be a
> > > clunky user experience. With auto-push, earner-approved issuers will be
> > > able to automatically push earned badges into the earner’s backpack."
> > >
> > > maybe this system could give us an interesting, real live USE CASE to
> play
> > > with? also since we want to incorporate topic of *Trust* such badges
> seam
> > > very practical in terms of: *Who I trust in which field of interest*...
> > > sort of granular certification system :)
> > >

> > Yes, sure.  I think we have the technology to already start working on
> > this.  The only thing we are short on, right now, is developer resources,
> > but I'm cautiously optimistic for an uptick in 2013.
> >
> > One other thing I'd like to see is a personal endorsement and approval
> > system, under user control, outside of the big silos, e.g. LinkedIn, XING
> > etc.
> personal endorsements sound very useful! i know tons of people saying *i
> want to leave CouchSurfing but loosing all the vouches and recommendations
> hurts*...

yes losing your reputation footprint to a silo or gatekeeper hurts, this is
the one main thing that got me interested in web standards -- this is one
of the great battles for the web right now, gatekeepers vs users ... and it
can go in either direction ...

once people own their own reputations they can take control of many aspects
of digital life and real life, from community management, to budgeting,
trust and privacy  ... this is really the democratic ideal

> when it comes to OpenBadges, i sometimes have impression that folks from
> Mozilla sometimes stay on *their own trip* and possibly don't pay attention
> do developments in other corners of cyberspace ;) i would like to sometimes
> check their roadmap and suggest checking work in other groups which may
> match functionality they look for...

good idea