Re: Building a paid App Market

On 8/14/12 10:31 AM, Olivier Berger wrote:
> Hi.
>
> Melvin Carvalho <melvincarvalho@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> On 7 August 2012 15:10, Melvin Carvalho <melvincarvalho@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Now that we have a few social systems progressing nicely.
>>>
>>> Do people think it's the right time to start working on a paid app market.
>>>
>>> The idea of the web as the intersection of information spaces, could apply
>>> to apps too.  ie to make apps that are as compatible as possible with other
>>> app eco systems, but also to allow you to 'deploy to the web', and add in a
>>> payment system to encourage people to build apps.
>>>
>>> Perhaps it might be possible to hook in payswarm as a possible payments
>>> system.
>>>
>>> If anyone is interested in this idea, it's something I'd be happy to work
>>> on, with maybe trying to get a proof of concept ready by end of next month
>>> in time for TPAC.
>>>
>>> Any thoughts, design ideas, issues?
>>>
>> I've jotted down some notes in this wiki page ... please feel free to add
>> to it or make changes as you see fit
>>
>> http://www.w3.org/community/rww/wiki/App_Market
>>
>> Next Steps
>>
>>     - Investigate possible code reuse, in particular, the payswarm wordpress
>>     plugin
>>     - Brainstorm minimal viable product
>>
>> Also will be interesting to see if app.net reaches is funding goal over the
>> weekend ...
> While the investigation of paid apps looks interesting... are you really
> sure it is completely on topic with RWW ?
>
> Just checking.
>
> Best regards,

FWIW -- its on topic because its an application of RWW technology. How
do you make a distributed app store? How do you express and enforce
license terms? How is all of this achieved without verifiable identity
and the ability to constrain resource access via ACLs based policies?

This whole matter is just more dogfooding . Hopefully, this will be
crystal clear when the architecture is fleshed out.

Company Web: http://www.openlinksw.com
Twitter/Identi.ca handle: @kidehen