Re: Moving part of the 'remoteStorage' spec from unhosted cg to rww cg

On 22 April 2012 18:48, Michiel de Jong <michiel@unhosted.org> wrote:

> Hi!
>
> It's always been a goal for me to bring the 'unhosted' endeavour and
> the 'rww' endeavour closer together because we're basically working on
> the same dream, and there is a lot of expertise in rww which is very
> beneficial, so we don't want to duplicate efforts at the unhosted
> project and reinvent the wheel etc.
>
> We're splitting up the remoteStorage spec
> http://www.w3.org/community/unhosted/wiki/RemoteStorage into a core
> part describing 'personal data services' and a specific part about the
> read-write web host that remoteStorage announces. So the second part
> will be about describing three types of read write web hosts (namely,
> WebDAV, CouchDB, and 'simple' (which is basically just GET/PUT/DELETE)
> and how you interact with them for both reading and writing.
>
> To emphasize the fact that we're solving the same problem here, I
> think 'rww' is the correct link rel for pointing to such rww hosts,
> and also I think that the 'simple' interface specification should be
> on the rww community group wiki and not the unhost community group
> wiki as it is now.
>
> Let me know if you think this is does not fall under the topic of this
> community group! If not, i'll go ahead and upload it to this CG's wiki
> when i have it ready.

Sounds great!  I'm sure RWW and unhosted can reuse ideas from each other.
And long term, I think (hope) that there is a path to convergence in terms
of following linked data principles, and helping to bring the web to its
full potential as laid out in, "weaving the web" (I know you have a copy
;)).

Feel free to make a page in the wiki.  Tho bear in mind that wikis are
normally updated often.  Ideally something like 'specgen' could be used to
write a spec and linked to unhosted.org etc.