Re: RWW Challenge : Creating a decentralized Social Net by Year End

Ok, I think I've absorbed what you guys are saying. Questions:

   1. When I click through, I'm really only visting an RDF model (graph)
   that is being rendered by some PHP script, correct? I.e., I'm
   not necessarily interacting with a SPARQL endpoint. Or am I?
   2. If not, then how will update be handled? Where will the PHP script
   place the comment I make?
   3. Where I'm headed is, I think we'll have to assume that the PHP script
   has access to a SPARQL DB. Which leads to my next question, will queries be
   supported by the UI, or are you aiming at just a bare minimum UI with status
   update, and comments.

There is a saying in linguistics, that monkeys haven't developed simple
languages, because language is inherently complex. There are no simple
languages. It'd be like trying to build a simple space ship. I don't think
we can get around adding just a little more functionality to your model,
just to get at the functions you enumerate.

Also, you can't get around distribution without implying a unifier. The WWW
was a vision of potential independence one and for all from monopoly, but
such a reality is not possible, Yahoo and Google were inevitabilities. It's
just the nature of reality: a center of gravity is always established as a
system collects more mass. You should anticipate this as you set about to
build this distributed social network, by establishing this unifier as a
first step.

Lastly, while the distribution of data is an ideal pursuit, distributing
social graph interaction will prove more of a challenge. Unless you have
unifier of those distributed interactions, the system will fall to pieces.
The goal of any information technology should be to allow user to change and
observe the state of reality. The more of that state I can observe in one
glance, and the more of that state I can change in one action, the better
the technology is serving its purpose, by more economical use of my state of
awareness, which is a finite resource. Switching from interactive context to
interactive context, *without a unifing context*, will waste the tremendous
energy for user, not to mention the knowledge and leverage
user inherently will forgo.

-sherman