Re: Getting the Address Book to work with read-write-web servers

Perhaps the code below will make clear what I mean when I speak of an Address Book. The following test
suite for the read-write-web scala project, just uses HTTP verbs to create a directory, PUT a foaf file,
then POST a SPARQL update on the foaf to add the certificate after it was generated, add a .meta file
with access control rules, allowing read access by all but only write access to the user, and then tests
to see if this is working.

https://dvcs.w3.org/hg/read-write-web/file/3bb89aaaab51/src/test/scala/auth/CreateWebIDSpec.scala

Now there are still a lot of thing there that are not complete and perhaps arbitrary. Some questions I think
that would be interesting to work out here:

  - how would the address book know where to put the ACL? Perhaps it's just that it gets that after creating the directory, with the directory
pointing to the .meta file...
  - how does the AB know to do a SPARQL UPDATE on a resource
  - there has to be some way of authenticating some other way, not just WebID, so that if the user changes AB he can quickly get going.

There may not be that many other things to add. But building a real AB will help reveal little issues that may not be evident initially.

Henry

On 31 Oct 2011, at 09:36, Henry Story wrote:

>> You can, of course, try it the other way round, but then you have to
>> persuade enough others to use the same system, which can sometimes be
>> as tricky as coding the app itself! :)
>
> Are you saying that an address book app that does PUT, POST of RDF to data.fm won't work
> because it's an address book app? I don't understand.
>
> Henry

Social Web Architect
http://bblfish.net/