Re: Using Twitter as an IdP space for WebID

Hello Kingsley,

On Sat, Oct 29, 2011 at 12:04:38PM -0400, Kingsley Idehen wrote:
> >this is a good Idea but I would call this TwitterID and not WebID.
> No, its an InterWeb scale identifier that's verifiable using the WebID
> verification (authentication) protocol.

http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/webid/spec/ says that "The WebID Profile
document must expose the relation between the WebID URI and the Identification
Agent's public keys using the cert and rsa ontologies, as well as the cert or
xsd datatypes.".

I cannot find anything about key fingerprints in the draft or about extracting
them out of a HTML page or via the Twitter API.

You seem to use the twitter API in a hardcoded way to verify the fingerprint.
So you will have to add code for every other social network. This does not look
like a "protocol" to me.

wget -q -O- --header "Accept: application/rdf+xml" http://twitter.com/kidehen |head -1
<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Strict//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd">

> >What is the connection to linked data ?
>
> The aforementioned URI is de-referencable. It resolves to a structured
> representation it the URI referents description.

Huh ? Are you talking about the HTML document I get with the command above ?

> >Or is WebID about promoting the use of X.509 certificates in general ?
> No, it is about verifiable identity via identifiers via exploitation of:
> 1. existing InterWeb infrastucture
> 2. trust logic and structured data representation.

If I use the word WebID, I mean this draft: http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/webid/spec/
I think the majority on this list uses the term in the same way. Correct me
if I am wrong.

> >You are using http://twitter.com/{your-twitter-handle}#this
> >Are you again creating URIs in other peoples namespaces ?
>
> How can I create a URI in other people's namespaces associated with
> their data spaces? I am a URI to identify a chunk of network accessible
> data in a manner that's distinct from the representation of said chunk
> of data.
> >  Maybe you should
> >omit the hashtag in the subject alternative name.
>
> Of course note, a chunk of data (i.e., a data object) is endowed with
> the following fundamental characteristics:
>
> 1. an Identifier (a URI)
> 2. Representation (a graph pictorial in EAV/SPO triple form)
> 3. an Access Address (typically a function specific identifier e.g., a URL).
>
> I hope this clears up matters for you :-)

Not at all :-) If twitter does not use the #this hashtag to identify a person
or account, you should not do it.

Regards,

Michael Brunnbauer

--