Re: [foaf-protocols] Foaf-browser-app

From: Sebastian Tramp <tramp@informatik.uni-leipzig.de>
Date: Wed, 5 Oct 2011 21:36:32 +0200
To: Henry Story <henry.story@bblfish.net>
Cc: WebID XG <public-xg-webid@w3.org>, Read-Write-Web <public-rww@w3.org>, foaf-protocols@lists.foaf-project.org, Tim Ermilov <ermilov@codezen.ru>
On Wed, Oct 05, 2011 at 08:34:51PM +0200, Henry Story wrote:

> > The project you described in the video is the Mobile Social Semantic
> > Web Client (MSSW, [0]), a pure java android application, which
> > is able to fetch your friends and integrate them with your local
> > address book via jena rules (so it is extensible). thanks for
> > creating this video - I've linked it on our project page. A more
> > complete overview on the MSSW project is available here [1]. This
> > project is stable in a sense that some of us use it on their own
> > phones and integrate their FOAF world very well into our phones. It
> > is also available on the android market (82 active installations at
> > the moment)
> Great. I think this should not be abandoned by the way, especially
> as the Android browsers don't support client side certificates very
> well I am told. It is also a great platform for us on the WebID
> group, together with the RWW group to test out new WebID ideas which
> we cannot do from normal browsers. So for example one could try to
> implement the suggestions of Aza Raskins which we wrote mention in the
> paper "WebID in Browsers" [b1] to allow users to see what identity
> they are logged in as. These and many questions of identity will come
> up when we start having web servers that show private and public data.

all sources of the MSSW client are open and free to use and adapt. I think
Nathanael will be happy to integrate pull requests :-)

> > Both application are part of the AKSW Distributed Semantic Social
> > Network (DSSN) initiative which tries to aggregate current
> > technologies into a coherent architecture for DSSN. The most recent
> > and complete description of this architecture is available at [4]
> > and we will enhance the architecture based on the experience from
> > the implementations.
> very very interesting paper. The only thing is I think the number of
> activities you put there per day is a bit low. I think you were going
> on your experience, but I think a normal user will have something more
> like the following:
>   - like 6 posts of which at least a few cat pictures reshare 1 or 2
>   - posts a day write a couple of small things to friends

As described, we fetched the visible activities of over 6000 facebook
accounts which are related to at least one of the AKSW member which gave
us access to their accounts via a facebook desktop application. Most of
these accounts were rather inactive in facebook. I agree, if we could
analyse all activities on all Social Web applications of these users,
the number would be much higher (for instance over 20 activities on my
github profile today :) .

Best regards

Sebastian Tramp

WebID: http://sebastian.tramp.name