Re: [foaf-protocols] Foaf-browser-app

From: Sebastian Tramp <tramp@informatik.uni-leipzig.de>
Date: Wed, 5 Oct 2011 21:36:32 +0200
To: Henry Story <henry.story@bblfish.net>
Cc: WebID XG <public-xg-webid@w3.org>, Read-Write-Web <public-rww@w3.org>, foaf-protocols@lists.foaf-project.org, Tim Ermilov <ermilov@codezen.ru>
On Wed, Oct 05, 2011 at 08:34:51PM +0200, Henry Story wrote:

> > The project you described in the video is the Mobile Social Semantic
> > Web Client (MSSW, [0]), a pure java android application, which
> > is able to fetch your friends and integrate them with your local
> > address book via jena rules (so it is extensible). thanks for
> > creating this video - I've linked it on our project page. A more
> > complete overview on the MSSW project is available here [1]. This
> > project is stable in a sense that some of us use it on their own
> > phones and integrate their FOAF world very well into our phones. It
> > is also available on the android market (82 active installations at
> > the moment)
>
> Great. I think this should not be abandoned by the way, especially
> as the Android browsers don't support client side certificates very
> well I am told. It is also a great platform for us on the WebID
> group, together with the RWW group to test out new WebID ideas which
> we cannot do from normal browsers. So for example one could try to
> implement the suggestions of Aza Raskins which we wrote mention in the
> paper "WebID in Browsers" [b1] to allow users to see what identity
> they are logged in as. These and many questions of identity will come
> up when we start having web servers that show private and public data.

all sources of the MSSW client are open and free to use and adapt. I think
Nathanael will be happy to integrate pull requests :-)

> > Both application are part of the AKSW Distributed Semantic Social
> > Network (DSSN) initiative which tries to aggregate current
> > technologies into a coherent architecture for DSSN. The most recent
> > and complete description of this architecture is available at [4]
> > and we will enhance the architecture based on the experience from
> > the implementations.
>
> very very interesting paper. The only thing is I think the number of
> activities you put there per day is a bit low. I think you were going
> on your experience, but I think a normal user will have something more
> like the following:
>
>   - like 6 posts of which at least a few cat pictures reshare 1 or 2
>   - posts a day write a couple of small things to friends

:-)

As described, we fetched the visible activities of over 6000 facebook
accounts which are related to at least one of the AKSW member which gave
us access to their accounts via a facebook desktop application. Most of
these accounts were rather inactive in facebook. I agree, if we could
analyse all activities on all Social Web applications of these users,
the number would be much higher (for instance over 20 activities on my
github profile today :) .

Best regards

Sebastian Tramp

--