Re: Using Twitter as an IdP space for WebID

Hello Kingsley,

you can do in your "data space" (whatever that is) whatever you want - as long
as things stay there. The problem is they don't. You put URIs like
http://twitter.com/kidehen#this in SAN fields and by this you suggest to other
people that this URI can be used to identify a person. It cannot - except in
your data space where you make the rules. Outside of your data space,
people have to agree on rules and meanings.

Regards,

Michael Brunnbauer

On Mon, Oct 31, 2011 at 02:24:46PM -0400, Kingsley Idehen wrote:
> On 10/31/11 11:12 AM, Michael Brunnbauer wrote:
> >Hello Kingsley,
> >
> >I just discovered that the WebID wiki (http://www.w3.org/wiki/WebID) seems
> >support your position of calling your idea a WebID: "A WebID is a way to
> >uniquely identify a person, company, organization, or other agent using a
> >URI.
> >One direct use of this concept is the protocol known as foaf+ssl...".
> >
> >Maybe the draft at http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/webid/spec/ should
> >reflect this...

> >>Sorry, I don't agree.
> >Here, we stay in disagreement.
>
> Okay, but you will ultimately see where I am coming from. For instance,
> you are in way inferring that the following statement can't existing in
> a graph hosted in my data space:
>
> <http://kingsley.idehen.net/dataspace/person/kidehen#this> foaf:knows
> <mailto:brunni@netestate.de> .
> <mailto:brunni@netestate.de> owl:sameAs
> <http://twitter.com/{your-twitter-handle}#this>.
> <http://kingsley.idehen.net/dataspace/person/kidehen#this> owl:sameAs
> <http://twitter.com/kidehen#this> .
>
> You cannot tell people what claims to make in their own data spaces.
> Misconceptions of this nature are what's lead to the 12+ odyssey re.
> Semantic Web vision comprehension, appreciation, and adoption. The game
> is never about:
>
> 1. telling people what they can or cannot do in their own data spaces .
> 2. mandating a global ontology .
> 3. constraining underlying data model to a specific syntax .
>
> I am making statements in my own data space (or that of a specific agent
> e.g., a WebID protocol compliant relying agent) that are the basis of
> inference in said data space en route to providing value that may or may
> not be utilized by others. Everything is optional, and that's the only
> way it can be.
>
> The beauty of URIs is that the WWW (in its 1.0 and 2.0 dimensions) has
> already generated millions (if not billions) of globally unique
> identifiers that are http: scheme based, so lets put them to use without
> getting all draconian about matters.
>

> >Regards,
> >
> >Michael Brunnbauer
> >

> --
>
> Regards,
>
> Kingsley Idehen
> President&  CEO
> OpenLink Software
> Twitter/Identi.ca handle: kidehen

++  Michael Brunnbauer
++  netEstate GmbH
++  Geisenhausener Straße 11a
++  81379 München
++  Tel +49 89 32 19 77 80
++  Fax +49 89 32 19 77 89
++  E-Mail brunni@netestate.de
++  http://www.netestate.de/
++
++  Sitz: München, HRB Nr.142452 (Handelsregister B München)
++  USt-IdNr. DE221033342
++  Geschäftsführer: Michael Brunnbauer, Franz Brunnbauer
++  Prokurist: Dipl. Kfm. (Univ.) Markus Hendel