Meta-level requirements for RIF

From: Francois Bry <bry@ifi.lmu.de>
Date: Tue, 18 Apr 2006 18:43:16 +0200
To: public-rule-workshop-discuss@w3.org

Dear All,

This is a try to clarify issues discussed today as well as again and
again in the past. In my opinion, we rurgently need an agreement on the
following:

1. Data (with their semantics) RIF is to access. In my opinion: RDF, XML
and OWL -- and I would stronlgy suggest Topic Maps as well.

2. What means "rule" for RIF. In my opinion, "deduction rules",
"normative ruyles" (aka integrity constraints), and "reactive rules" (or
ECA rules = Event-Condition-Action rules).
ECA rule include but are not limited to production rules. Events are
needed for an exchange of reactive behaviour between nodes in a
distributed context like the Web.

3. Semantics requirement for RIF: In my opinion, a declarative semantics
is needed in the first place but no procedural semantics. This would
leave interesting questions like termination (in certain cases) open. In
my opinion, many of these questions could be resolved without specifying
a full-fledged procedural semantics. And if some questions are left
open, the RIF would still be very usefull in practice.

François