Re: NAF v. SNAF - where is this being addressed?

Mike - I didn't say that SNAF was controversial.  But it also cannot
be theoretical in the output of a Working Group (the context of my
email) -- an eventual charter has to include specific wording that
addresses this goal -- let me explain using examples from the Web
Ontology Group Charter that eventually led to OWL -- this charter is
in http://www.w3.org/2002/11/swv2/charters/WebOntologyCharter

i. If there is a generally agree upon approach with a well-understood
semantics and a web-realizable syntax, then the charter should
specify this as a starting place
      (for example, the Web Ont Charter stated that we must start from
DAML+OIL).
ii.  If there isn't, then the specific goals of the mechanism to be
developed has to be stated (for example, the Web Ont charter
specified with respect to semantics that it must "clearly delineate
what is, and is not, entailed from any particular language construct
or combination thereof")

So, in thinking about creating a working group, I am a bit confused
as to where we stand with this -- I know it is possible to do
something SNAF related, but now we must take it to the next level.
  -JH
p.s. Mike, let me use an example that might help you -- in the paper
you and Subrahmanian did, you proved all sorts of great things about
annotated logics.  However, if we were goign to do a standardization
of a particular annotated logic, we would have to be much more
specific and define a particular annotation set and corresponding
logic.  Your paper proves this could be done, and that it should be
done, but doesn't outline the specifics, so a charter would need to
limit the design space to the maximum degree (which is the goal of a
WG charter, and what makes them so danged hard to write)