Re: English Rules Semantics for Authors and Users

From: Michael Kifer <kifer@cs.sunysb.edu>
Date: Tue, 28 Jun 2005 17:23:20 -0400
To: Adrian Walker <adrianw@snet.net>
Cc: Jos de Bruijn <jos.debruijn@deri.org>, Holger Wache <holger@cs.vu.nl>, Jim Hendler <hendler@cs.umd.edu>, dreer@fh-furtwangen.de, public-sws-ig@w3.org, www-rdf-rules@w3.org, Bijan Parsia <bparsia@isr.umd.edu>, public-rule-workshop-discuss@w3.org

> Hi Michael --
>
> At 03:09 PM 6/28/2005 -0400, you wrote:
> People think databases but use OWL.
> Now, this is a real semantic mismatch: people mean (and want!) one thing,
> but get a completely different thing.
>
> And, as I think you imply, they may not realize that what they got is not
> what they asked for.

Not only that they don't get what they expect to their queries, but that
they have no simple way of stating what they want.

> That could be downright dangerous.

I suppose, if this thing drives air traffic control or railroad switches.

> An English author- and user-interface to a reasoning system can go a long
> way towards mitigating the problem, particularly if it can explain its
> reasoning in English.

Yes, explanations are very important, but this issue is orthogonal to the
OWA/CWA debate.

	cheers
	  --michael