Charter for WG (was Re: FOL versus Rule Languages - A tutorial)

From: Jim Hendler <hendler@cs.umd.edu>
Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2005 10:12:23 -0400
To: Michael Kifer <kifer@cs.sunysb.edu>
Cc: public-rule-workshop-discuss@w3.org, Danny Weitzner <djweitzner@w3.org>

At 17:07 -0400 8/27/05, Michael Kifer wrote:
>>  All- I'm running out the door, not back for a few days -- but looking
>>  at the recent mail, Dieter's comments, etc - it seems to me there is
>>  a convergence on a "compromise" space occuring -- the charter as
>>  written could be changed in a few simple ways to, basically, allow
>>  the WG to work out some of the details - the compromise space may
>>  live somewhere around here:
>
>Jim,
>I don't think that "compromise" is the right word. It implies that there is
>a clash of political interests, while I was naively thinking that we were
>discussing technical issues.
>
>I would use the term "agreement on technical issues," and I still don't see
>it happening.

Mike - forgive me, but you and I clearly have opposite ideas about
this discussion.   I thought the goal was to charter a working group
and let the technical discussions be made there as is the W3C policy.
I see now that this email list has become a research discussion of
topics relating to rules (which is what I thought rdf-rules was for)
and has drifted from any discussion of charters and the like.
  As such, I will leave the discussion and check back in when a new
draft of a charter is circulated.
   -Jim H.

--
Professor James Hendler			  Director
Joint Institute for Knowledge Discovery	  	  301-405-2696