Re: log:notIncludes (conclusion?)

From: Sandro Hawke <sandro@w3.org>
Date: Sat, 27 Aug 2005 19:43:08 -0400
To: Michael Kifer <kifer@cs.sunysb.edu>
Cc: public-rule-workshop-discuss@w3.org

> Since cwm, Flora-2, Prolog, etc., are real practical languages, it
> seems a clear indication that nonmonotonicity is an important
> feature of a web rule language.

Let me put the definition of monotonicity into the unix command line:

  bash$ cwm a --think > deductive_closure_of_a
  bash$ cwm a b --think > deductive_closure_of_a_b

Is there any file "b" such that deductive_closure_of_a contains a
triple which is missing from deductive_closure_of_a_b?  Maybe there
are formatting options to cwm which would let me ask that question
using diff and grep. :-)

My guess is that there is such a "b", but it uses some hairy kludge
feature that should be avoided (accordning to N3/cwm's designer).

Why do people want non-mon?    For defaults, yes?    Anything else?

     -- sandro