Re: SNAF, NAF, and monotonicity [was: Comments on * DRAFT * Rules...]

Yes, 00007.color[]@allAboutCars. Sorry for the typo.

> (aside: In any case, in N3, the negation is not separated from the
> question of whether 00007.color[] occurs in allAboutCars.
> In N3, the notIncludes relation between syntactic formulas is just
> like stringNotMatch operation on strings or a notDivisorOf operation
> on integers; it's a decideable/computable recursive function. )

I would be more comfortable if this all were defined more formally.
I gave my best shot at informally talking about informal semantics of N3,
but we cannot really argue about logical properties of a language that
hasn't been given a model theoretic semantics.

> >  Therefore, we derive 00007[color->black] using the rule
> > (****). (The rule (***) doesn't fire, since its premise is false.)
> > Therefore,
> >
> >         A |= F
> >
> > Now, let B be 00007[color->yellow], which we would like to add to the
> > allAboutCars site.
>
> add to the site? You mean change what @allAboutCars denotes? To do
> that is to consider a different interpretation of the formula(s) A,
> not to consider an additional set of formulas B.

No. We have a bunch of formulas

12345[color->red].
45678[color->blue].

at allAboutCars. Formally, being at allAboutCars means that all predicates
and methods there have a unique prefix (the same for the same module). So,
the above two being @allAboutCars really means that we have formulas like

12345['$&^allAboutCars*^%color'->red].
45678['$&^allAboutCars*^%color'->blue].                         (*****)
etc.

Adding 00007[color->yellow] to @allAboutCars means that B really is

00007['$&^allAboutCars*^%color'->yellow]                        (******)

and now we have the set of formulas A union B.

Recall that A was that bunch of formulas (*****) plus those pair of rules.
So, A union B is (*****), (******), and the rules (***)/(****).

Now we are making inference and what was a consequence of A is no longer a
consequence of A union B.

> >  Now, rule (***) fires, but (****) doesn't. So, we derive
> > 00007[color->yellow], but we don't derive 00007[color->black]. Therefore,
> >
> >         A union B |/= F
> >
> > so it is nonmonotonic.
> >

> > The same thing basically happens in your N3 example.
> >
> > There auto:specification is an attribute, which returns a set of objects
> > (which would formally be treated as terms). Somewhere you will need to
> > have a set of formulas (which will be part of the set A), which
> > would say which specific cars have which specifications.
> >
> > So, if you have a car whose spec doesn't include color then you will derive
> > {... auto:calor auto:black} for that car. But if you throw in another
> > formula (our B above), which will give a color spec to that car then
> > { :car.auto:specification log:notIncludes {:car auto:color []}}
> > will not be satisfied and so the rule will not fire.
>
> As I say, it seems to me that this is not exhibiting another set
> of formulas B, but just considering a different interpretation of
> the formulas A. In that interpretation, the premise is false and
> the conclusion is false, yes, but this doesn't seem to demonstrate
> non-monotonicity.

No, see above. It is a union of A and B. It is precisely what
nonmonotonicity means.

> > I should also say that it is dangerous for me to venture into making the
> > above claims about N3, since, as far as I know, N3 doesn't have a formal
> > logical semantics. So talking about logical entailment is taking too much
> > liberty. But I think I have intuitive understanding of the intent and armed
> > with the formal semantics of F-logic (which is close in spirit to N3) I
> > feel I am making a convincing informal argument for nonmonotonicity of the
> > informal semantics of N3.
>
> The analogy between F-logic an N3 seems to work well enough in this
> case, but I am not yet convinced that this example shows
> nonmonotonicity. It still seems to me that you have to use
> unscoped NAF to get nonmonotonicity.

Unscoped NAF doesn't exist (only implicitly scoped NAF exists), so
according to you nonmonotonicity doesn't exist :-)

> [...]
> > > Monotonicity supports partial understanding...
> [...]
> > So, I don't buy the above argument of yours.
>
> OK, well, I'd like to get to the bottom of this more clear
> technical stuff about monotonicity first; perhaps I'll return
> to the scalability discussion later...

Looks like a good plan.

	--michael