Re: Comments on * DRAFT * Rules Working Group Charter $Revision: 1.60 $

From: Jim Hendler <hendler@cs.umd.edu>
Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2005 23:50:19 -0400
To: Michael Kifer <kifer@cs.sunysb.edu>, Sandro Hawke <sandro@w3.org>
Cc: public-rule-workshop-discuss@w3.org
Mike - I've seen a lot of mail from you about what you are against -
is there a proposal somewhere that you would suggest we look at as a
strawman for a starting place for a rules language compatible with
Web architecture?  At least Sandro has tried to specify his strawman.
I've looked at RuleML 0.89 (which I think is latest) - it is an
interesting syntax, is there a semantics for it somewhere (I looked
on the Web page, but didn't see an obvious candidate) or is the
Datalog sublanguage proposed to be the semantics (since it inherits
the datalog semantics) - the mission stateent says "The goal of the
Rule Markup Initiative is to develop RuleML as the canonical Web
language for rules using XML markup, formal semantics, and efficient
implementations" which does imply formal semantics are being
defined...
  thanks
  JH
p.s. I  admit I haven't tracked RuleML for a while and need to get
back up to speed, thanks for any pointers that help...
--
Professor James Hendler			  Director
Joint Institute for Knowledge Discovery	 	  301-405-2696