Re: Comments on * DRAFT * Rules Working Group Charter $Revision: 1.60 $

At 17:51 23.08.2005 -0400, Adrian Walker wrote:
>Dieter --
>
>At 10:12 PM 8/23/2005 +0200, you wrote:
>>it is not that difficult to identify something around Horn logic
>>with a minimal model as common ground of state of the art rule languages.
>
>That's similar to how we do things in our online system [1].   I wish it
>was the case that all significant rule systems could be covered in that way.
>
>But I'm afraid that the various procedural rule languages, in which rule
>order and other factors determine whether a rule will "fire", are simply
>not amenable to that kind of treatment.

Indeed neither the charter draft nor my proposal are able to straight
forward cover many procedural aspects of such languages.
I would see this as a second step to tackle with. In general, implementing
too much of a control flow in a rule language
comes dangerously close to go-to programming anyway.

         -- dieter

Dieter Fensel, http://www.deri.org/
Tel.: +43-512-5076485/8