Re: RSP Query Semantics - RDF Stream Processing Community Group

Hi!

I think that the stream should be a sequence of RDF datasets. These
datasets then could contain timestamps and intervals describing the time
related properties of the data. After all, RDF is a general data
representation language, originally developed for representing metadata:

The *Resource Description Framework* (*RDF*) is a family of World Wide Web
Consortium <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Wide_Web_Consortium> (W3C)
specifications <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Specification>
[1]<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Resource_Description_Framework#cite_note-1>originally
designed as a
metadata <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metadata> data
model<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Data_model>.
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Resource_Description_Framework)

Timestamps and intervals are metadata. I believe that adding another layer
of metadata on top of RDF is unnecessary. It also makes RDF streams less
compatible with existing tools like RDF stores.

In addition, we should have a well defined library of time and interval
operations, which could be used in SPARQL queries.

I think that the idea of attaching timestamp or intervals to stream data
items is valid in a situation where the actual data items are of some
simple or restricted type, for example, real values coming from a sensor.
In the case of RDF streams, however, it is more flexible to have all that
data represented in RDF.

/Esko

--
Esko Nuutila
Aalto University School of Science and Technology