Re: Urgent: Issue with RIF-Core EBNF Grammar?

Axel,

I do not think that changing Core at this point is a good idea (to say the
least :-)

And, hopefully, we do not have to, anyway: if you need Core rules combined
with class membership facts, you can import them (facts), e.g. from an OWL
ontology. Does not that solve your issue?

</chair>As you now, I've always been of the opinion that facts (data and
data models) are orthogonal to rules, and that their representations
should, therefore, be kept separate; and, then, the way to use the rules
is to combine them with facts<chair>

One reason why we did not want class membership formulas in Core rules
heads is because allowing rules, in PRD, that could morph individuals
without restriction (by asserting them as members of new classes) would
have been problematic for some of the main PR engines. As a consequence,
class membership assertions are allowed, in RIF PRD, only when a new
individual is created: I do not know if we could have tried and designed a
restriction to the same effect for the use of class membership formulas in
Core rules heads. But Dave and the Core stakeholders were not very keen on
class membership anyway, if I remember correctly.

Cheers,

Christian

IBM
9 rue de Verdun