Re: [XML-Data] review of current draft

Hi Mike,

Thanx for the detailed review: I cannot believe you found so many typos
etc in such a short time :-)

I have corrected, all of them, I think. I just uploaded the corrected
version.

Below, I will only comment on those of your remarks that called for more
than just doing it...

Mike Dean wrote on 17/06/2010 14:17:47:

>   Inconsistent use of . vs ; to end final sentences in list.  I
> prefer consistent use of .

I do not know what is the correct usage in American english. I used the
one for French, instead, that is, semi-colon at the end of all items
except the last. That i sbecause, that way, I had to correct only two
lines :-)

I will find out and do the right thing for the next publi.

>   The minor deviations from XDM concern me, because they may
> preclude re-using code developed for XDM.

I added an editor's note, and I will raise an issue.

>   It's perhaps confusing that Id isn't an id, unless you're trying
> to make a specific point.

No, I was not trying to make a point: I changed the name to "PIN".

>   The document needs some examples of RIF rules using XML data.  I'd
> start with these before delving into the semantics, which will lose
> most readers.

I added an example, see below. I'd like somebody to check that it makes
sense. If not, I wil lremove it...

------------start example------------
Example 4.1. In a RIF document that imports the sample XML document from
Section 3.6. Example of a data model instance, associated with the
corresponding XML schema, the first rule, below, says that an
EarlyCustomer is a Customer whose Account number is lower than 1000:
Forall ?x (_EarlyCustomer(?x) :-
           And( ?x # <http://example.org/customertable#Customer>
                Exists ?y (And ?x[<
http://example.org/customertable#Account -> ?y]
                               External(pred:numeric-less-or-equal(?y
1000)))))

Notice that, if the XML document were imported without the XML schema, the
RIF consumer processing the combination would only have access to the
string value of the Account sub-element, without an indication of its
type. In that case, to guarantee that the rule behave as expected, the
producer of the RIF document would have to add the information that the
value of ?y must be cast into an integer before being compared as a
number.
Another example, below, shows a rule that involves a combination with data
that is represented as an attribute in the XML document.:
Forall ?x (_EnglishRec(?x) :-
           ?x[<http://www.w3.org/XML/1998/namespace#attribute(lang)> ->
"en"^^xs:language])

That rule could be intended to mean that, if an item is represented, in
the imported XML data, by an element with an attribute named lang in the
XML namespace, and the value of that attribute is the xs:language constant
en, then the information regarding that item is recorded in english.
------------end example--------------

>   It would be great to be able to use @NAME instead of attribute
> (NAME) for consistency with XPath, etc.

I am pretty sure that this is what I wanted to do, initially, and that
there is a good reason why it was not a good idea, or not possible, or
whatever.

I gave myself an action to check, or come up with a proposal (we need to
track the discussion, but I am not sure that it is worth an issue, hence
the action).

>   Is _Customer_John the actual symbol, or intended as a representative
skolem?

Well, I wanted to avoid variables, so I needed an actual symbol, and I
choose rif:local because they are easier to write than rif:iri and they do
not have a value space either.

In the next version, I will probably use variables, instead: they are less
confusiong!

>   Without a namespace, it would seem much more appropriate to use
> symbols than strings for "Name", "Account", and "Customer".

But what are "symbols"? We do not have a "symbol" symbol space in RIF. Or
did I misunderstand your point?

> Is _Customer_John # "Customer" valid RIF?

I think so: or is it a problem that a string also identifies a class?

Well, really, the problem is that the lexical space of rif:iri's is
absolute IRIs only. But there is not much we can do about it at this point
:-(

>   schema valid or schema valid should presumably include something
different

Yes, of course. Do you think that the text is not explicit enough about
that? Well, there was that editor's note already, that said that the
semantics would be further explained and commented in a future version, so
I did not change anything...

>   Treating RDF as XML is dangerous, since there are many ways of
> expressing the same thing and the source serialization could change.

Maybe. But RDF/XML exists, and we have already a specification for RIF and
RDF combinations. So, I do not think that we can escape without, at least,
discussing the relationship between that spec and RIF+XML data...

>   RIF references should be updated from Working Draft to (Proposed)
> Recommendation

I changed the text to Recommandation. But I do not have the URL for the
docs, yet. I will see that with Sandro.

Thanx again for your comments.

Cheers,

Christian

IBM
9 rue de Verdun
94253 - Gentilly cedex - FRANCE
Tel. +33 1 49 08 35 00
Fax +33 1 49 08 35 10

Compagnie IBM France
Siege Social : 17 avenue de l'Europe, 92275 Bois-Colombes Cedex
RCS Nanterre 552 118 465
Forme Sociale : S.A.S.
Capital Social : 611.451.766,20 ?
SIREN/SIRET : 552 118 465 03644