Re: [PRD] Rule instances, refraction and Modify [Was: Re: Fwd: Clips behavior]

  On 18/01/2010 14:43, Christian De Sainte Marie wrote:

> All,
>
> Gary and Neal are right: the specification of refraction in PRD is wrong.
>
> I propose that we have a PRD TF telecon tomorrow to discuss the
> changes needed. Here below are the results of my analysis of the
> problem, and a proposed solution.
>
> I made some testing with CLIPS and JRules, on the assumption that what
> worked for CLIPS would work for almost any other engine (and, esp., on
> the assumption that Jess and Oracle --and, maybe, Tibco-- would work
> like CLIPS, whereas Drools, Blaze etc would work like JRules) and I
> identified three problems with the PRD spec:
On the issue of "refraction", Drools works like Jess and Clips - none of
us implement it. The OPS5 manual on refraction:
http://www.math-cs.gordon.edu/courses/cs323/OPS5/ops5.html

     REFRACTION

         This term comes from the neurobiological observation of a/refractory
         period/  for a neuron, which means that the neuron is not able to fire
         immediately without first going through a relaxation process.  In a
         similar way, OPS5 will not allow the same instantiation in the conflict
         set from firing twice in a row.  This prevents the inference engine from
         entering into an infinite loop.

> 1. Refraction and recency should depend on the state changes that
> result from atomic actions, not on the state changes that result from
> action blocks: that means that we need to take intermediate states of
> the fact base into account. The definition of a state of the system
> will need be changed accordingly, but, apart from that, the semantics
> remains unchanged. Stretching it a little bit, we could consider that
> this is not such a substantial change (and, thus, no need to get back
> to LC).
>
> 2. in CLIPS, the Modify is, really, a Retract followed by an Assert,
> in the sense that it remove the modified fact from the RETE, and add
> it back after modification: that means that we cannot have, in PRD, a
> Modify that does not retract, then insert a new fact, with all the
> consequences on the agenda, if we want CLIPS and the engines that work
> the same way to be able to implement PRD.
Jess + Clips + Drools 4.0/5.0 a modify is a retract+assert. Drools 5.1
does modify as a single propagation through the network.

However my experience is that except for TMS and agenda events
(activation created, cancelled and modified) retract+assert can still be
treated as "atomic", as the result is the same. The only time this is
noticable is on TMS where the modify's retrat can cause a justification
to be removed and thus a logical insertion to be retracted, when after
the assert part of the modify the justification would still be backed.

Except TMS I don't believe the spec should care whether a modify is a
single propagation or a retract+assert. I think what is important is
that the modify action is accompanied by the fields changed; which is
necessary for the implementation of 'slot-specific' and also for other
engine optimisations. It is possible for a retract+assert modify to
"mask" itself and emit correct agenda events and stop the justification
being removed.

> That point is not really a problem, as far as regards CR etc, because
> this, is, really, what the spec says it does, already. My suggestion
> is that we, only, make the fact that Modify = Retract+Assert more
> explicit, in PRD (if only because this is not what the spec was
> intended to say :-).  [1]
>
> It is more of a problem for implementation in object-oriented engines,
> such as JRules, because it makes Frames even more inappropriate to
> represent objects, but this is a different question (the problem is
> really with retracting a field value without retracting the object
> instance; that could be, at least, simulated as long as the value of
> the field could be modified without a Retract; that will not be the
> case anymore).
>
> Notice that it follows that the Modify_noloop test case cannot work,
> existential variables or else: my best suggestion is to remove it (the
> test case); but this has no incidence on the status of the PRD spec
> wrt CR, LC etc.
>
> 3. the binding of the rule (universal) variables is not always
> discriminant enough to characterize a rule instance. That is, it does
> not allow to decide, in all cases, whether two instances of a rule are
> equal or not: in the following example, the rule should have two
> different instances, for the conflict resolution algo, but the binding
> of the unique rule variable is not enough to distinguish them:
>    Rule: FORALL ?x, IF test(?x) AND ( foo(1) OR bar(B) ) THEN...
>    Facts: (test a), (foo 1), (bar B)
> That shows that the characterization of a rule instance, in PRD,
> should take the facts that matched the condition into account, not
> only the binding of the rule variables (at least, I found no other way
> to take this kind of cases into account).
>
> My proposal is:
>  a. to modify the definition of a rule instance [2], to add the
> definition of the matchedFacts, where matchedFacts(ri) is a set of
> ground facts that is associated to a rule instance ri;
>  b. to change the definition of rule instance equality to add that the
> set of the matchedFacts must be equal as well;
Are we talking identity equal or content equals of those facts? i.e. the
same set of time stamps or actually the same field values? In java that
would be == versus equals().

Refraction typically is the set of timestamps