issues with the Base directive

From: Michael Kifer <kifer@cs.sunysb.edu>
Date: Sat, 28 Nov 2009 01:37:26 -0500
To: RIF WG Public list <public-rif-wg@w3.org>
We realized that none of our documents has even a single example of the Base
directive in the presentation syntax. So, we modified the BLD examples to show
how Base should be used. See, for example Ex 1 and others in
http://www.w3.org/2005/rules/wiki/BLD

However, when it came to Example 8, a question arose as to how to reflect Base
in XML. In the WG, Base was requested as a counterpart of the XML directive
xml:base. But the xml:base document http://www.w3.org/TR/xmlbase/
does not say which strings are to be expanded using the xml:base directive.
It says that "each XML vocabulary is to decide for itself."
The xml:base document is rather vague on that point and the question is, where should such a decision be recorded?

We thought that adding some English text in the XML appendix saying that
relative IRIs in <Const type="&rif;iri">....</Const> are expanded using
xml:base is a reasonable solution.
Sandro seems to also think it is reasonable.

Anybody has another idea?

Btw, another good question is whether relative URIs can be used in the
Prefix/Import directives (and be expandable using Base).
Thoughts?