[PRD] PRD document importing PRD documents

From: Christian De Sainte Marie <csma@fr.ibm.com>
Date: Mon, 18 May 2009 19:19:26 +0200
To: RIF <public-rif-wg@w3.org>
********* NOTICE **********
My new email address at IBM is: csma@fr.ibm.com
My ILOG email address will not be forwarded after June 8

It occured to me that we did not implement, in PRD, the resolution from
F2F12 [1] about importing RIF documents...

I see four ways to implement that resolution in PRD:
1. restrict the import to Core documents (only PRD documents that are also
Core documents can have imports, and they can import only other Core
2. retrict the import to PRD documents with implicit conflict resolution
strategies (or explicit rif:forwardChaining conflict resolution strategy,
which is the same) and they can import only other PRD documents with the
same restriction;
3. restrict the import to the case where the importing and imported
documents are all associated with the same conflict resolution strategy;
4. allowing import of other PRD documents without restriction.

I propose to exclude option 4 as to ocomplex: we have no idea of the
semantics; I also propose that we exclude options 1 and 2 as overly
restrictive, and that we implement option 3. We have only one conflict
resolution strategy that is specified normatively, anyway; so, it might
seem that option 3 is the same as option 2; except that it makes extension
to other conflict resolution strategies easy (or so it seems)...

What do you think?

I drafted a section on documents and imports in RIF-PRD [2] according to
option 3. I have, still, to update the section 8.5 accordingly.

Please, read and react.

[1} http://www.w3.org/2005/rules/wg/meeting/2009-01-14#resolution_6
[2] http://www.w3.org/2005/rules/wiki/PRD#Document_and_imports

ILOG, an IBM Company
9 rue de Verdun
94253 - Gentilly cedex - FRANCE
Tel. +33 1 49 08 35 00
Fax +33 1 49 08 35 10

Compagnie IBM France
Siège Social : Tour Descartes, 2, avenue Gambetta, La Défense 5, 92400
RCS Nanterre 552 118 465
Forme Sociale : S.A.S.
Capital Social : 609.751.783,30 ?
SIREN/SIRET : 552 118 465 02430