problem with rif:iri definition in DTB

From: Michael Kifer <kifer@cs.sunysb.edu>
Date: Mon, 18 May 2009 01:21:31 -0400
To: RIF WG Public list <public-rif-wg@w3.org>
(This came up in Stella's report on FLD, but the problem is in DTB.)

There is a statement in DTB Sec 1.2.1:

    * rif:iri (http://www.w3.org/2007/rif#iri,
      A rif:iri constant must be interpreted as a reference to one and the same object regardless of the context in which that constant occurs.

This last sentence is too informal. Worse, as far as I can see, it is incompatible with first-order semantics. Obviously, no constant can be interpreted by one and the same object in all possible worlds (semantic structures) unless you impose restrictions, like we did for data types. But I don't even think there is a reasonable set of restrictions that is agreeable to everyone.

--
    -- michael