Re: [DTB] issues with numeric casting/built-in functions

Axel Polleres wrote:
> I think we are overshooting here and disagree that we should restrict
> the domain. If we want to adopt/fit with XPAth/Xquery funcs and ops and
> that was the rationale we took, we should not redefine them. We had to
> do some tqists already, since we don't have errors, but let's not make
> things worse/even more diverging. At some point we have to accept
> implementation dependence in built-ins and I think following
> XPath/XQuery keeps this within reasonable bounds.

This means the RIF language is ill-defined and there is no way to
implement it.

>>> I think these are crucial issues and we need to have at least an idea
>>> of where we want to go before DTB can go to last call. Otherwise, it
>>> will not be possible to make any RIF implementations.
>
> How about if we simply mark functions/operators which have
> implementation dependence? but we shouldn't restrict them too much. (I
> think of something like the starts  in a menu which mark some dishes as
> spicy)

They still need to be well-defined. Of course, we can make DTB
implementation-dependent, but then the I in RIF probably stands of Icky.

Jos

--
+43 1 58801 18470        debruijn@inf.unibz.it

Jos de Bruijn,        http://www.debruijn.net/
Many would be cowards if they had courage
enough.
  - Thomas Fuller