Re: [ISSUE-94] Object representation

On Tue, 31 Mar 2009 13:10:07 -0700
Gary Hallmark <gary.hallmark@oracle.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Mar 31, 2009 at 10:42 AM, Michael Kifer <kifer@cs.sunysb.edu> wrote:
> >

> > On Mon, 30 Mar 2009 23:21:40 -0700
> > Gary Hallmark <gary.hallmark@oracle.com> wrote:
> >
> >> example of my proposal:
> >>
> >> the statement "class eg:MyClass [ eg:att_1->xs:string,
> >> eg:att_2->set(xs:date) ] "
> >
> > Garry, I don't understand the above syntax.
> it says that objects belonging to MyClass have a single-valued slot of
> type string and a multi-valued slot of type date.
> >
> >> means
> >>  (BLD)
> >> Forall ?o, ?x, ?y, ?z If ?o#eg:MyClass AND ?o[eg:att_1 -> ?x eg:att_1 ->
> >> ?y eg:att_2 -> ?z]
> >>  Then ?x = ?y AND pred:isString(?x) AND pred:isDate(?z)
> >
> > Can't understand the above either. How are ?y and ?z related? It makes no sense
> > for ?y to appear only in the conclusion.
> But ?y appears in the frame formula in the premise. Perhaps an
> unfortunate linebreak ending in -> threw you off?
> The keyword "Then" introduces the conclusion (which comes after the
> premise here)

Ah, ok. Missed the ?y thingie.

> Also, pred:isString(?x) AND
> > pred:isDate(?z) don't make sense to me. Basically, the above says that every y equals x (which is defined by att_1) and every such x and z is a string/date.
>
> I think it says that if an object ?o is a member of MyClass and has a
> slot att_1 with 2 values ?x and ?y, then those values must be the
> same.  Furthermore, the type of att_1 is string and the type of att_2
> is date. If not the case, then the rule is inconsistent.

But builtin predicates cannot appear in the rule heads.
What you need are constraints like

!- ?o#eg:MyClass AND ?o[eg:att_1 -> ?x] AND Not pred:isString(?x).

But we don't have constraints and (more importantly) Not.
(Constraints can be had if we introduce the predicates True and False, so it is
a minor problem.)

michael