Re: Presentation Syntax

From: Chris Welty <cawelty@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 12 Mar 2009 23:21:56 -0400
To: kifer@cs.sunysb.edu
CC: Axel Polleres <axel.polleres@deri.org>, public-rif-wg@w3.org, Sandro Hawke <sandro@w3.org>

Michael,

The presentation syntax is not for "exchanging concrete languages".  The XML
syntax, which is not in dispute, is for that purpose.  The presentation syntax
is pretty much only for *humans* who want to write (and read) rules in BLD.

Since you think BLD is useless, you shouldn't care what syntax humans want to
use to write&read it.  You can use your personal syntax for the dialect that you
find useful, as long as it is 1-1 translatable to the XML syntax there is no
problem.

In fact, the ability to have multiple presentation syntaxes seems to me to
precisely *demonstrate* the advantages of RIF.  In some sense, each of these
syntaxes can be thought of as different languages which have very good
interchange properties through RIF-XML.

Neither RDF nor OWL have suffered from multiple equivalent syntaxes (though the
same arguments were made against them at the time), I see no evidence that it
would bloat or harm adoption of RIF at all.  Quite the opposite.

-Chris