Re: Version 0 of the 'RIF+XML data' document "nouvelle maniere"

Hi Dave,

Thanx for the quick feedback.

Dave Reynolds <der@hplb.hpl.hp.com> wrote on 27/07/2009 20:08:02:

> I've attempted to read this but found it somewhat hard to follow
> (probably just my lack of concentration, but some concrete examples
> might help).

I do not think that you have concentration problems :-)

I struggled to get that initial version out, and I skipped all the basic
definitions and concrete examples: except if you know XDM by heart, that
makes the doc probably quite difficult to read and understand...

> Some of the details need work though. You talk about relative IRIs but
> surely all relative IRIs in a RIF document will be resolved relative the

> base (document location or explicit RIF base declaration). So I don't
> think you can use relative IRIs in the way you describe. Also the
> namespace resolution seems be a bit underspecified.

Yes, my understanding of how URIs and namespaces are handled in XDM (esp.
wrt node- and type-names) is still shaky. That is the part where most
additional work is needed, I think.

> You use the term "sequence" a lot but as far as I can see everything is
> getting mapped to separate frame slot values and so ordering is lost. Is

> that right?

That is right, indeed. The only place where the fact that everything in
XDM is a sequence would be used is if multiple element children with the
same name were retrieved as a list (preserving the document order). But
that would be contradictory with frame slots being multi-valued.

But it is still interesting to keep the notion that everything is a
sequence (first because we can import the definitions from XDM directly
:-) and also because) that makes the spec readily extensible for future
"object-oriented" RIF dialect, that will need to include constructs for
single-valued attributes. There is an editor's note about that in the
document.

Cheers,

Christian

ILOG, an IBM Company
9 rue de Verdun
94253 - Gentilly cedex - FRANCE
Tel. +33 1 49 08 35 00
Fax +33 1 49 08 35 10

Compagnie IBM France
Siège Social : Tour Descartes, 2, avenue Gambetta, La Défense 5, 92400
Courbevoie
RCS Nanterre 552 118 465
Forme Sociale : S.A.S.
Capital Social : 609.751.783,30 ?