Re: draft public comment for OWL last call from RIF

From: Bijan Parsia <bparsia@cs.man.ac.uk>
Date: Fri, 23 Jan 2009 16:03:57 +0000
Cc: Chris Welty <cawelty@gmail.com>, Bijan Parsia <bparsia@cs.manchester.ac.uk>, Sandro Hawke <sandro@w3.org>, Dave Reynolds <der@hplb.hpl.hp.com>, "Public-Rif-Wg (E-mail)" <public-rif-wg@w3.org>
To: Jos de Bruijn <debruijn@inf.unibz.it>

On 23 Jan 2009, at 15:42, Jos de Bruijn wrote:

> Bijan Parsia wrote:

>>> I don't see a strong case for that. I personally find it
>>> ridiculous if
>>> in OWL
>>> "1"^^xsd:int owl:sameAs "1"^^xsd:float
>>> is a tautology, but in RIF
>>> "1"^^xsd:int = "1"^^xsd:float
>>> is inconsistent.
>>
>> Jos, that is in the subset of the semantics where I think there
>> could or
>> should be harmonization.
>
> good, then we agree here :-)

(Assuming that = and sameAs are the same :))

>> If you note the example of the "semantic" divergence (which isn't
>> really
>> a difference in semantics but in the available operators...but
>> presumably predicates and operators are very user visible aspects
>> of the
>> semantics), I didn't propose this one :)
>
> Sure, the operators are different, because the languages are different
> in nature.

Well, that is also a reason for owl to have rationals (and reals in
general). We intend to support linear (and possibly non-linear)
inequations (as constraints). If you don't support that, then
rationals become less compelling and thus might yield to
implementation considerations.

Cheers,
Bijan.