Message to OWL comments on common datatypes

From: Chris Welty <cawelty@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 23 Jan 2009 09:35:01 -0500
To: "Public-Rif-Wg (E-mail)" <public-rif-wg@w3.org>

[Is this indeed the sentiment of the RIF WG? - Chris]

In our discussions on using RIF Core to represent the rules in the OWL-RL
profile, we could not perceive value for our user base in adopting owl:rational
but note that is already At Risk in the current OWL2 drafts. We also did not see
value in requiring support for the string subtypes xsd:normalizedString,
xsd:token, xsd:Name, xsd:NCName and xsd:NMTOKEN, though these are still under
discussion.

This comment began within the context of the OWL-RL profile, however we would
like to work towards a common set of datatypes for the semantic web.

-RIF WG