Re: ISSUE-87 (string subclassOf text): rif:text document reinterprets xs:string as a subtype of rdf:text

From: Jos de Bruijn <debruijn@inf.unibz.it>
Date: Thu, 08 Jan 2009 10:13:16 +0100
To: Rule Interchange Format Working Group WG <public-rif-wg@w3.org>

Rule Interchange Format Working Group Issue Tracker wrote:

> ISSUE-87 (string subclassOf text): rif:text document reinterprets xs:string as a subtype of rdf:text

This is not entirely true.
Section 3.1 of [1] states that "specifications that use rdf:text MAY
choose to interpret the [string] datatypes ... in a slightly different
way".  So far, OWL 2 has opted to do so; RIF has not.  This is a source
of incompatibility that we have not really discussed so far, but we
should discuss it together with the other sources of incompatibility
(e.g., integer versus float) at the face-to-face.

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/rdf-text/

--
Jos de Bruijn            debruijn@inf.unibz.it
+390471016224         http://www.debruijn.net/