ISSUE-86: rdf:text implies change to SPARQL

From: Rule Interchange Format Working Group Issue Tracker <sysbot+tracker@w3.org>
Date: Wed, 7 Jan 2009 09:20:18 -0500 (EST)
To: public-rif-wg@w3.org

ISSUE-86: rdf:text implies change to SPARQL

http://www.w3.org/2005/rules/wg/track/issues/86

Raised by: Christopher Welty
On product:

the rdf:text document says """In addition to the RIF and OWL specifications, this datatype is expected to supersede RDF's plain literals with language tags, cf. [5], which is why this datatype has been added into the rdf: namespace. """

I don't recall any discussion on this notion of "supersede". What exactly is being proposed here? I have been regarding rdf:text as a formalization of RDF plain literals with language tags which simplifies OWL2/RIF's job but is not a change to RDF.  Clearly any change to the RDF specs would have implications for tools developers, especially if there are any round-tripping requirements, and wouldn't be something to make likely. I don't think it appropriate to hint at such a change in the rdf:text document without more details.

See discussion here: http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-rdf-text/2008OctDec/0025.html