Re: [Admin] Agenda for RIF telecon 6 January

From: Axel Polleres <axel.polleres@deri.org>
Date: Tue, 06 Jan 2009 13:59:51 +0000
To: kifer@cs.sunysb.edu
CC: Christian de Sainte Marie <csma@ilog.fr>, RIF WG <public-rif-wg@w3.org>

Michael Kifer wrote:
> On Mon, 05 Jan 2009 19:44:17 +0100
> Christian de Sainte Marie <csma@ilog.fr> wrote:
>> *PROPOSED:* Change all negative guards to return true only for literals that are not of the type, false for non-literals (closing ISSUE-79 [6]).
>> *PROPOSED:* add isLiteralOfType and isLiteralNotOfType (based on resolution of issue-79) and remove specific type-named guards (e.g. isInteger, isNotInteger).
> Proposal 2 seems to obviate proposal 1.

> Proposal 1 has a problem of naming. If we use names like isNotInteger then
> semantics in Prop 1  clashes with the mnemonic meaning of such a negative
> guard. (A more accurate mnemonic would be isLiteralThatIsNotInteger). Proposal
> 2 does not seem to suffer from that problem.

... yes, I also think if we just get going with proposal 2 we avoid that
and other "maintainance" problems  with the specific guards.

p.s.: Note that we need to also check the affected test cases that use
guards, i.e. replace or remove them.

Dr. Axel Polleres
Digital Enterprise Research Institute, National University of Ireland,