Re: [RDF-OWL] what if there are no graphs at import locations?

The OWL (1) specs are not entirely internally consistent in this regard
as you've jointly pointed out.

In current practice many applications and tools deal with ontologies
(and datasets in the case of SPARQL) not published at their URI, while
recommended good practice is to publish there.

My preference would be:

- use Axel's suggested phrasing of "referred to by u1,...,un"

- say that recommended good practice is to resolve this reference by
treating the URI as a web location but that implementations MAY support
other mechanisms (e.g. local caches)

- leave behaviour in the case where the reference cannot be resolved
undefined (in practice any tool would report such a failure but there
are use cases where proceeding with the subset of data you have
available at present is preferable to a complete abort)

> related: what if pi denotes the OWL DL profile, but ui does not point to
> an OWL DL ontology?  Should the document be rejected?  I think so.

Seems reasonable so long as the requirement is SHOULD and not MUST. A
species check is moderately expensive and allowing implementers the
possibly to omit this in some circumstances would also seem reasonable.

Dave