Re: observation on owl:real

From: Dave Reynolds <der@hplb.hpl.hp.com>
Date: Fri, 17 Apr 2009 08:41:45 +0100
To: Axel Polleres <axel.polleres@deri.org>
CC: "Public-Rif-Wg (E-mail)" <public-rif-wg@w3.org>
Axel Polleres wrote:
> Since owl:real is disjoint from float and double, it appears that the
> lexical space for owl:real, i.e. those owl:real values lexically
> expressible in RIF, actually just conincides with that of xs:decimal.
>
> So, one could say the lexical space of owl:real is the same as the one
> for xs:decimal?
>
> Given that, I kind of fail to see the need for owl:real at all for our
> purposes... resp., I fail to see where it would NOT coincide with
> xs:decimal.
>
> Opinions?

This seems like a bug in the OWL specs.

I had assumed that owl:real would be redefined to be the union of float,
double and decimal (perhaps better named owl:number).

Since, as you say, they have actually defined it as disjoint with float
and double I agree it serves no purpose and should be dropped.

Dave
--
Hewlett-Packard Limited
Registered No: 690597 England