Re: [DTB] What is a dialect?

Axel Polleres wrote:
> Jos de Bruijn wrote:
>> The places where the use of the word "supported" is really problematic
>> is in the definitions of "literalNotIdentical" and
>> "isLiteral(Not)OfType".
>> But I expect that these definitions will be awkward, even if "supported"
>> is defined, because they seem to change depending on the dialect at
>> hand.
>
> yes.
>
>> This would violate our requirements on extensibility.
>
> you mean, because entailments under this function would depend on the
> supported datatypes, yes? Can you point me to the concrete text of the
> requirement?

Resolution from F2F8:
RESOLVED: no invisible extensions (official or user extensions)

http://www.w3.org/2005/rules/wiki/Resolutions

>> The problem is easily solved for isLiteral(Not)OfType, once we define
>> how types are represented (the second argument in the domain is
>> restricted to the set of data types, i.e., all datatypes that have
>> existed, currently exist, and will exist in the world), and it becomes a
>> nonissue if we adopt my proposal [1] and revert back to individual guard
>> predicates.
>
> Uff. Please not! Sigh. ;-)

What do you propose then? I think we should try and make some progress
towards finalizing DTB.

>> literalNotIdentical is trickier. Basically, the problem is that BLD does
>> not make a distinction between the datatype part of the domain and the
>> rest. So, the domain of a given interpretation can contain some values
>> from the value space of some datatype that is not in DTS. This situation
>> can be remedied by adding to the definition of semantic structures the
>> assumption that the domain does not contain any values of the value
>> space of any datatype that is not in DTS.

Does your silence mean you are in favor of this proposed change?

Jos

--
+43 1 58801 18470        debruijn@inf.unibz.it

Jos de Bruijn,        http://www.debruijn.net/
Many would be cowards if they had courage
enough.
  - Thomas Fuller