Re: external frames

On Sat, 27 Sep 2008 13:22:43 +0100
Dave Reynolds <der@hplb.hpl.hp.com> wrote:

> My point was slightly different.
>
> For your use cases where you go to an external source and query it then
> it seems to me much better modelling to separate the address from the
> query components and to have that address be part of the external call.
>
> So one would have:
>
> 1.   External(src, P(x,.. y))
> 2.   External(src, o[p->s  .. p'->s'])

I agree. When I designed that I was not thinking how exactly one finds out
where to go to get the answers. I assumed there will be a convention, but an
explicit address is better, I agree.

> Your use cases for frame access seem to be rather better satisfied by a
> construct like (2) above.

yes.

> In your example you are forced to go to each
> university whereas I might want to go to a central clearing house, or
> dbpedia or whatever to query the same information.

For this particular case,
I was thinking about a distributed case with no central address.
But I agree that (2) is more flexible. It makes it easy to define
this use case as centralized and also as a distributed one.

> I agree that frame or predicate form are both reasonable in this case.
>
> The case of builtins are different. In that case there is no external
> source to go to and all our current builtins are handled perfectly find
> as predicates and functions and there seemed to be no use cases for
> builtin frames.

In general a set of builtins might be implemented externally.
For instance, the first argument could be "local" or something like that.
This would mean to use some known local implementation.

	--michael