absolute/relative URIs in PS (was Re: Lexing RIF PS)

From: Sandro Hawke <sandro@w3.org>
Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2008 15:20:20 -0400
To: Axel Polleres <axel.polleres@deri.org>
cc: Hassan Ait-Kaci <hak@ilog.com>, RIF WG <public-rif-wg@w3.org>

>  > This, unfortunately again, requires that any lexical analyzer for the
>  > RIF PS include complete IRI parser - which I am not willing to invest
>  > any effort in at this nor any near future time.
>
> Ok, I agree with your assessment that for relative IRI resolution the
> relative IRI needs to be parsed. but do you imply any consequences?
> Do you suggest we don't support relative IRIs?
>
> Many other standards do, actually, I would be surprised if not
> off-the-shelf libraries were available which support relative IRI/URI
> resolution.
>
> Maybe somebody else in the group from the more XML end can add some=
> hints here?

Where do you need to look inside IRIs, in going between the PS and XML?
I would consider it incorrect to change the IRIs during this conversion,
even it was just making IRIs absolute, etc, so I'd think they should be
considered entirely opaque during this translation.

In going from XML to native language, you'll need to do conversion to
absolute URIs, but not in dealing with the PS..... (I think).

(And yes, I would expect every modern language to have a URI parsing
toolkit.  Python certainly does, and I think SWI Prolog does, too.)