Re: ISSUE-76: Equality in Core? [Core]

This issue was discussed at the last telecon with only myself expressing
any reservations. The chairs expressed a desire to either resolve this
or at least draft a resolution at the next telecon. Since I won't make
that telecon I'm putting my position in email.

rule bodies in Core.

Comments:
There was some discussion on Tuesday about this being purely identity or
syntactic quality.  That's not true in the presence of data types as
Michael later pointed out.

I expressed a preference that this should be handled via a generalized
equality builtin rather than a syntactic construct. The primary reason
being to allow us to use any binding pattern machinery we might devise
(to express safety or conformance restrictions) to equality as well. I
realize that there is not yet any acceptable proposal for binding
patterns so this is a theoretical reservation and I'll accept that it's
not strong enough to justify deviation from BLD/PRD.

Dave