RE: [RIF-APS] Rules Sign

Hello,

I don't know whether to feel alarmed or amused at the sort of
symbol quibblings that have been exchanged regarding RIF PS syntax
(dis)tastes.

I thought it was understood by all here that with a Presentation
Syntax for rules, this WG was *not* designing a new universal
rule language. We are simply defining shorthands that are
somewhat easier to read and write by humans than their normative
XML counterparts. The RIF PS is meant to help a human agent read
and write RIF examples and allow the automated generation of the
XML form from the PS form. Thus, such a PS should:

  (1) be simple and unambiguous to parse by software; and,
  (2) easy, by not excessively so, to manipulate by humans.

Why "not excessively so"? Because - again - we are *not*
designing a new universal rule language! We are just defining
(relatively) less ugly shorthands for (absolutely)ugly XML! :-)
Thus, PS is only rough syntax encompassing many potential rule
languages. What makes sense for one intended sementics does not
necessarily for another. AT this level, punctuation is important
only to ease reading and parser generation. Let us not make it
ridiculously peculiar. It should be clear and familiar to most.
It is silly trying to push matters of personal (dis)tastes. The
two criteria above are all we need.

At present, there are three levels of PS:

(1) "pure" PS (without Axel's extensions)
(2) PS ("pure" PS with Axel's extensions)
(3) APS (PS with Adrian's shorthands)

Adrian's abbreviations are more like macros that "desugar" APS
into PS.

In order to build a parser for (A)PS and generate its XML form,
[http://www.w3.org/2008/08/19-rif-minutes.html#action08], the
quick final settlement of all these syntactic issues is highly
desirable.

-hak

-hak
--
Hassan Aït-Kaci  *  ILOG, Inc. - Product Division R&D
http://koala.ilog.fr/wiki/bin/view/Main/HassanAitKaci