RE: [PRD] PICK specification --> comment

> If the other PRD people are of the same opinion, that would probably
make
> our job easier. So, *Mark*, *Paul*, *Adrian*, etc, what do you think?
This
> could be an easy resolution to discuss in Orlanda.

My thoughts are:

A - use cases like MISMO are not inferencing, and indeed ruleflow-based
BREs use of inferencing can be rare [*1], implying a CR strategy is
irrelevant [*2] in most non-academic use cases for RIF. In other words,
it could reasonably be ignored in PRD1.0 / deferred til such time as
inter-BRE inference rule interchange became a proven PRD limitation [*3]

B - a classification scheme of CR strategies sounds dangerously like
"R&D" to me, which should be a huge warning bell for W3C on this topic.
On the other hand, it is "useful" information for rule interchange. On
the other hand again, I would expect CR schemes to be arbitrarily
complex and/or proprietary.

C - the proposed solution (aka/as far as I can tell: "lets have a simple
classifier that provides some CR information to RIF rulesets") seems
like a reasonable compromise.

Comments:
[1] Anecdotal only - I don't think anyone has done research on this and
I doubt the BRE vendors measure this / want to make such data public

[2] If there is no inferencing, then a rule cycle will only complete
once for any ruleset in scope. Ruleflow-defined rule systems only have 1
ruleset in scope at a time. Therefore, CR is not required. Further,
usually such rulesets will be exclusive (have only a single rule whose
condition matches the current state of WM).

[3] This would be what I would call a pragmatic solution, but others
would call a delaying-the-issues tactic

Terminology:
CR Conflict Resolution
WM Working Memory

Paul Vincent
TIBCO | Business Optimization | Business Rules & CEP