Re: what to make external (ISSUE-78)

Michael Kifer wrote:

> On Mon, 06 Oct 2008 19:34:47 -0400
> Chris Welty <cawelty@gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> At the F2F we had a lengthy but ultimately inconclusive discussion on what to
>> allow in an external call:
>>
>> 1) ATOM
>> 2) ATOMIC
>> 3) ATOM | FRAME
>>
>> In a straw poll, one person objected to each choice, and there were 3, 6, and 2
>> people resp. who preferred each choice.
>
> I remember that csma did retract his objections to (3).

No, it was Axel who objected to (3).  Csma agreed that we could remove "at risk"
on external frames (which was not really an objection).

>> While more people prefer choice 2, it would require re-doing last call.  1&3
>> would not, as 1 is covered by external frames being at-risk, and 3 is the way
>> the spec reads now.
>
> I think we should do what is right and the LC consideration is not very
> important, if the change is relatively simple (which is what will be in this
> case).

The LC consideration *is* important.  We lose a bit of credibility if we redo
last call.

> I think the right thing to do is Atomic-Equal|Frame

</chair>
So far each time we've discussed it a new alternative has come forth! I'm
definitely leaning toward Jos' position - the right thing is to keep it simple
and go with External(ATOM)
<chair>

> Why minus Equal? In principle equality does not matter here, but one should
> realize that External(a=b) does not imply a=b. So, I am afraid that some people
> will be confused. But maybe this is a non-issue.
>
> I think the LC thing will need to be redone anyway, because of the problem with
> the External primitive, which we discussed: it should really have the remote
> site's IRI as an additional argument.

This is not a good reason to retract last call - you are basically proposing to
add a feature to BLD.  We should redo last call to fix a bug, not to add features.

-Chris