Re: Reference vs import <-- RIF Core shortened

Paul,

RIF actually has an object/data model.  It's not very rich, because some
WG members believed (erroneously) that they could specify RIF without
*any* data model.  But of course we have Herbrand terms (flat relations
in Core/PRD) and we have objects with slots and classes.  And we have
the XML schema datatypes.  That sure sounds like an object/data model,
and RIF translators are obliged to translate between this RIF data model
and the target rule language data model.

Now, if we have an "import foo.xml" addition to RIF, then the
translator's additional job is to "hook up" the facts in that xml
document with the target rule language data model using whatever means
it can (e.g. I like JAXB), but the ensemble must behave *as if* the xml
syntax was mapped to RIF syntax in a manner that we specify.