Re: Reference vs import <-- RIF Core shortened

From: Michael Kifer <kifer@cs.sunysb.edu>
Date: Fri, 21 Nov 2008 11:15:01 -0500
To: Christian de Sainte Marie <csma@ilog.fr>
Cc: Paul Vincent <pvincent@tibco.com>, Gary Hallmark <gary.hallmark@oracle.com>, Patrick Albert <palbert@ilog.fr>, Dave Reynolds <der@hplb.hpl.hp.com>, "Boley, Harold" <Harold.Boley@nrc-cnrc.gc.ca>, Adrian Paschke <Adrian.Paschke@gmx.de>, Axel Polleres <axel.polleres@deri.org>, RIF WG <public-rif-wg@w3.org>

On Fri, 21 Nov 2008 11:38:39 +0100
Christian de Sainte Marie <csma@ilog.fr> wrote:

> Michael Kifer wrote:
> >
> > I don't see how Java objects and external schemas relate to allowing # and ##
> > in RIF-Core facts.  I would like to see a clarification from you on that issue
> > and Gary's view.
>
> I don't see that either: as I have said repeatedly, # and ## facts need not be asserted, if there is an external schema, as far as I understand (but, of course, we need to have a way to import and refer to that external schema).

Again, we are talking about the requirements to Core. What is "asserted" and
what is "external schema" in this context?

> There is one thing that is not clear to me: does Core want (need, require) # or ## facts?
>
> Sometimes, you sound like it is a demand from PRD, whereas I was under the impresion that it was a demand from Core...

Who do you mean by "you"? If it is me, then when and where did I sound like
that? If I even mentioned PRD in the last 2-3 months then only in passing.

> And, btw, does Core want them in rule heads?
>
> (Sorry, I am much father back on Core than I should :-(

So, this is the problem. The discussion is about Core, while you keep talking
about PRD, and this just brings a lot of confusion rather than helping with
moving the Core work towards completion.

michael