Re: RIF Core shortened

From: Gary Hallmark <gary.hallmark@oracle.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2008 09:02:45 -0800
To: kifer@cs.sunysb.edu
CC: Patrick Albert <palbert@ilog.fr>, Dave Reynolds <der@hplb.hpl.hp.com>, "Boley, Harold" <Harold.Boley@nrc-cnrc.gc.ca>, Adrian Paschke <Adrian.Paschke@gmx.de>, Axel Polleres <axel.polleres@deri.org>, RIF WG <public-rif-wg@w3.org>

I think we don't have to distinguish "creation" vs. "modification" for
unconditional conclusions (aka facts).  It seems the worst thing that
happens is we have to translate

_o # eg:class1
_o # eg:class2

The translator can always look ahead at *all* the facts before deciding
what to do.  In this case, the translator searches for a constructor
(taking no arguments) that can create an instance of eg:class1 *and*
eg:class2.  Because we allow # only in unconditional conclusions, this
kind of lookahead is always easy and possible.